The Texas Land Conservancy (TLC) is a non-governmental, 501(c)3 non-profit organization dedicated to protecting land all over the state of Texas. We are in the business of protecting natural areas from the negative effects of land fragmentation and poorly-planned development. Land conserved by TLC will be protected forever from becoming a subdivision, strip mall, or parking lot.
We help landowners find an economical, realistic alternative to selling their land to a developer that allows ownership to remain in their hands, but puts the responsibility of conserving the land in ours. Many of these properties are working farms or ranches, while others contain important habitat for wildlife and native plant communities. All of these lands are beautiful examples of Texas’ natural heritage. TLC’s work ensures that economic viability and growth is balanced with what makes us Texan: our rural heritage, our open-spaces, our farms and ranches, our scenic vistas, and our natural resources.
Why is land conservation important in the U.S.?
- Every year, the United States loses 2,000,000 acres of farms, forests, and open space, and 100,000 acres of wetlands to the pressures of poorly-planned development.
- Funding for public land conservation has decreased significantly over the past 40 years. Private land conservation by land trusts, on the other hand, has increased over 50% in the past decade.
Why is land conservation important in Texas?
- 95% of land in Texas is privately owned - three times more than any other state!
- The population in Texas is expected to increase 82% by 2060, with pressure from development falling most heavily on land surrounding urban areas.
- Historic drought conditions continue to deplete our critical water resources needed for drinking, agriculture, recreation and native wildlife.
- Surface water - streams, reservoirs and rivers - are an increasingly threatened source due to drought, development pressure and population growth.
- The total acreage of protected land in Texas, including state and local parks, is only 3,000,000. Texas is losing its rural lands faster than any other state in the nation.
What Can I do to help?
- Donate: Our work is only possible because of generous support from people like you. With each dollar you contribute you are leveraging your impact in an extraordinary way, allowing TLC to protect $20 worth of critical lands.
- Volunteer: TLC hosts a variety of volunteer events all year round. From work days at our public preserves, to guiding hikes, to event planning, to taking photographs of our private properties, we would love to have you on board!
- Attend an event: Find out more about the work we do by joining TLC at one of our happy hours or monthly hikes happening all over the state. We want to meet you and learn why you are interested in conservation in Texas.
- Sign up for our e-news: Stay informed about conservation in Texas, TLC events, and other opportunities to help protect the land you love.